Every human goes through ups and downs, joys and sorrows. No one is immune to problems and difficulties. But there are many ways to survive and live a happy and peaceful life despite our problems and difficulties.
Sometimes the pressure we face in life as well as the stress and the anxiety that weigh us down are man-made. There are many things we go through in life because of – the people around us, the people we choose as friends, and the people we allow to choose us as friends. To be happy and successful, we must know how to handle these things. I will focus on just 5 basic things you must let go in order to be happy and successful.
- You can never be successful in life if you are jealous or envious of the successes of others. Those who are jealous are tormenting themselves not others. Be content and thankful for what you have. Rejoice for the blessings and successes of others. With a positive attitude and good deeds, your own blessings can come to you as well. No man has the monopoly of blessings and successes. Also, resist the pressure to compete unnecessarily with others out of envy. Be yourself and let others be themselves. Do not be the type of person who does things just because someone else is doing it and you want to compete. This is like two drivers, strangers on the Highway competing to overtake each other on the road even though they are going to different destinations. Never focus your eyes on other people’s possessions and businesses. Do not even talk about them. If you hear about someone’s success, rejoice with the person and be content with what you have.
- Bad and deceptive friends: You must choose your friends wisely. There is a popular saying: ‘show me your friend and I will tell who you are’. This is true. Unfortunately, many have lived a pitiable life of sorrow, anxiety and worries. Some have even died just because of the type of friends around them. Granted, life can be very challenging and miserable to live without friends. The point is, you must learn to choose the right friends. Choosing the right friends may not be easy, especially in the world today. But, you can still find good friends. Getting good friends start from you. To get good friends with good qualities, you must work hard to possess those qualities that you are looking for in a friend. Work on yourself, be friendly and choose friends wisely. Not all so-called friends want you to be successful and happy. I am sure you may have had, or still have one friend who always discourages you when you mention that big leap you want to take, or there could be ‘a friend’ who always talks behind you on. To achieve success and live a happy life, you must cut off bad and deceptive friends hanging on your neck whether online or offline. Sometimes, these individuals resist to be cut off, so be prepared and be determined to let them go!
3. Negative Attitude: Fight negative attitude immediately. Work hard to maintain a positive outlook about life. To achieve this, you must stay far away from negative people and those who engage in ‘small talks’ and ‘behind the back talks.’ With your God-given power and hope, impossibility is nothing when you rely on God and doing your best to serve him. Never believe that any good thing is too difficult for you to achieve. Learn to use positive words such as ‘Yes I can’, ‘Yes it is possible’, etc. If you believe that you will never achieve something in life, then you probably will not. Always remain positive. Don’t panic about anything. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Certain things will take care of themselves in due time. So, focus more on the present and remain positive in the present. This will help you gain that precious positive outlook of the future. Be careful about the words you use. When it comes to success, do not always use discouraging words such as, impossible, never, can’t, etc. Sometimes, the words that come out of our mouth are so strong and effective. Believe you can do something first, try your best to achieve it and see for yourself before jumping into conclusion that you can’t.
4. Procrastination: Procrastination is the thief of time. It is one of main anti-success attitudes. Know the true value and the fleeting nature of time. Learn to make the best use of time. It is often said that every mistake can be corrected, but not the mistake of wasting time; when time is gone, it is gone forever! Do not put off till tomorrow what you can accomplish today. When you procrastinate, you are inviting laziness into your bedroom. Procrastination makes you lazy and bored, and before you know what’s happening, you may end up not doing what you actually needed to do in the first place. Then you will miss the opportunity which sometimes comes but once. A lazy man cannot accomplish anything. If you must achieve success and move on in life, you must let go of procrastination.
5. Arrogance and pride: John Maxwell once said “There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. ‘Good pride’ represents our dignity and self-respect. ‘Bad pride’ is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.” Sometimes we make mistakes in life. It can be difficult to acknowledge these mistakes, especially to someone who is arrogant. The truth is that, we cannot move forward in life and achieve success if we don’t acknowledge mistakes and make quick adjustments. Humility is a very important quality to achieve success. Most successful people had at one time or the other lost their ways, but they made adjustments and succeeded. Humble people share the credit and the wealth, the joy and the sorrows, remaining focused and continue the journey to success.Pride often goes before a fall. This is not to say that you can’t have your integrity and self-esteem. Of course, you can, but let it be for a positive cause for rejoicing, not letting other people down. Always be thankful for whatever you have. Never have the mental attitude that you are better than everyone else even if you have more material possessions than many, or even if you feel there is one knowledge or the other which you have more than others. Remain humble and thankful. Always reach out to help those in need as much as possible, for you do not know what tomorrow will be. So, to achieve success, you must let go of arrogance and pride. Be humble and thankful!
*Do you have anything to add? Please share your comments. We love to hear from you
Echelah Mazi is a motivational speaker and writer. He lives in Los Angeles, CA.