The death toll in wildfires sweeping across California has risen to nearly 100, with more than 1,300 people still missing, officials said.
The blaze which started on Thursday, November 8, 2018 near Thousand Oaks, about 40 miles (64km) north-west of central Los Angeles and spread to Paradise, has now become the most destructive in California history and the deadliest. It has consumed thousands of homes and acres.
It is now equals the deadliest wildfire on record in California – the 1933 Griffith Park disaster in Los Angeles.
An estimated 250,000 people have been forced to flee their homes to avoid three major blazes in the state.
With strengthening winds threatening to spread the flames, state Governor Jerry Brown has urged President Donald Trump to declare a major disaster, a move that would harness more federal emergency funds.
The appeal came a day after Mr Trump threatened to cut funding for California, blaming the fires on poor forest management.
At a news conference late on Sunday, Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said some bodies were found in their burned-out homes and inside vehicles.
In an update, the mayor of Paradise, Jody Jones said:
“Most of the residential [area] is gone. I would say 90%,” she said. “I had an opportunity to go up there and take a look for myself. Just about everyone I know lost their home.”
California has lost a total of 1,627,652 acres to wildfires so far in 2018, according to Cal Fire statistics.
See photos below