More than 350,000 evacuated as death toll hits 61 in China’s flood

Share to friends
  • 1
    Share

At least 61 people have died and 356,000 evacuated as heavy rain and floods swept through large parts of southern and central China.

China’s Ministry of Emergency Management said in a notice on Thursday evening that 9,300 homes have collapsed and 3.71 million hectares of farmland damaged during the floods, with direct economic losses now estimated at 13.35 billion yuan ($1.93 billion).

The notice said more than 4,300 people had been rescued from floodwaters, which have affected regions stretching from Guangdong province in the southeast to southwest China’s Chongqing on the upper reaches of the Yangtze river.

During the summer, China routinely suffers from droughts in the far north and floods in the south. The emergency ministry has warned that northern regions face even lower precipitation levels this year, while heavy rains are expected to raise flood risks on the Yellow river’s upstream.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here