At least 95 people were killed and several houses burned to the ground when gunmen suspected to belong to the Fulani ethnic group raided a rival Dogon village in central Mali overnight.
Since January this year, violence between Dogon hunters and Fulani herders has killed hundreds of people, including the one that happened in March where more than 150 Fulanis were killed.
According to latest raid on Sunday took place in the Sangha district, where Fulanis from the neighboring Reuters, the Bankass district suddenly descended on a Dogon village at night.
Siriam Kanoute, an official for the nearby town of Bandiagara, said: “Armed men, apparently Fulani, fired at the population and burnt the village.”
Sangha mayor Ali Dolo told Reuters 95 charred bodies were found so far, but that the death toll was likely to rise as the village was still ablaze. “On a population of around 300 inhabitants, only 50 responded to the roll call,” Dolo said.
U.N. spokesman, Stephane Dujarric said in a statement that the U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was outraged by the attack and called on all parties in Mali to “show restraint and to refrain from retaliatory acts.”
A spokesman from the security ministry in Mali confirmed the attack but said the attackers had not yet been identified. Malian government vowed to find those responsible.
“The government of Mali presents its deepest condolences to mourning families and assures all measures will be taken to arrest and punish the authors of this carnage,” the communications ministry said in a statement.
Malian government has come under fire recently for failing to disarm militias or beat back Islamist insurgents.
In March, 23 Malian soldiers killed in terrorist attack in Dioura village. Read here.
Following an upsurge of violence and killing, Mali’s prime minister, Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga, and entire government of Mali resigned in April and a new Prime Minister, Doctor Boubou Cisse, took over.