Death toll rises to 28 as typhoon Lekima wreak havoc in eastern China

Share to friends
  • 1
    Share

The death toll from typhoon in eastern China rose to 28 on Sunday after heavy rains triggered a landslide that forced more than one million people to evacuate. Twenty people are currently missing, state media reported.

Typhoon Lekima triggered landfall Saturday morning in the eastern province of Zhejiang with winds reaching speeds of 187 km (116 miles) per hour, causing travel chaos with thousands of flights canceled and rail operations suspended, Reuters reported.

Provincial authorities said the estimated economic losses from the typhoon currently stand at 14.57 billion yuan ($2 billion). More than 173,000 hectares of crops and 34,000 homes in Zhejiang have been damaged, the state news agency Xinhua reported.

According to state broadcaster CCTV, landslide occurred about 130 km north of the coastal city of Wenzhou, when a natural dam collapsed in an area deluged with 160 mm (6.3 inches) of rain within three hours,

China’s Ministry of Emergency Management said that more than one million people in the financial hub of Shanghai, as well as Zhejiang and Jiangsu provinces, have been evacuated.

China evacuates millions after Typhoon Mangkhut leaves Hong Kong in tatters

Typhoon is not new to China. In September last year, Typhoon Mangkhut wreaked havoc in southern China, causing more than three million people to be evacuated. Watch the video trough the link above.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here