9-year-old Illinois boy arraigned on five murder charges

Share to friends
  • 1
    Share

A boy from Illinois was arraigned Monday on charges of murdering five relatives in an Illinois mobile home fire.

Alwood is facing five counts of first-degree murder for allegedly setting fire on a mobile home on April 6. The fire in Goodfield killed three kids and two adults – ranging in age from 1 to 69-years-old, The Post reported.

Woodford County Circuit Court Judge Charles Feeney read a juvenile petition citing those charges against the boy, along with two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson.

Soon after the fire started, the boy ran next door to the home of his maternal grandparents and shrieked “The house is on fire! Help!” according to The Journal Star.

Katrina Alwood, the boy’s 28-year-old mother, who survived the fire, backed her son.

“Everyone is looking at him like he’s some kind of monster, but that’s not who he is,” she told CBS News earlier this month.

“People make mistakes, and that’s what this is. Yes, it was a horrible tragedy, but it’s still not something to throw his life away over.”

 Alwood was able to get out, but could not save the others.

“I stood at the window and I told my kids I was sorry I couldn’t save them. Mommy was right here and I loved them. At least hopefully they heard that. I told Jason I loved him, I’ll always love him. And then something told me that they’re gone.” Alwood, the boy’s mother, told CBS News.

The April 6 fire killed a 1-year-old, two 2-year-olds, a 34-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman at a mobile home park about 150 miles southwest of Chicago. Photo source: CBS

The boy, who will be tried in front of Judge Feeney, is due back in court November 22. He cannot be held in custody between hearings because of his age.

Kyle will also not be incarcerated if convicted. He could, however, face probation, therapy and counseling, according to the report.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here