Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced Wednesday they are quitting the Royal Family.
The couple made the shocking announcement shortly after their six week vacation in a multimillion-dollar bolthole in Canada.
Meghan and Harry said they wanted to make their own money, adding they will now split their time between the UK and North America.
In the unprecedented statement in their official Instagram account, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said:
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”
Harry and Meghan’s marriage has been blighted by rows over their spending — and their desperate attempt at privacy — as they even refused to release where their son, Archie, was born, and who his godparents were.
But critics lambasted them as they continued to accept money from the British taxpayer.
In a documentary filmed in South Africa, the pair said they were unhappy — and Harry, 35, admitted that he had fallen out with his older brother, Prince William, Pagesix reported.
Although they were dubbed the “Fab Four,” William, wife Kate Middleton and Harry and Meghan, 38, split their royal foundation last year.
According to report, Harry and Meghan will soon launch their own Sussex Royal Foundation.