Chinese officials have reportedly refused to let the World Health Organization take part in an investigation into the origins of the coronavirus outbreak.
The origin of the enemy virus that has killed thousands globally, is not yet clear, but is generally believed to have emerged in December 2019 at a wet market in Wuhan, China.
According to a report by Sky News on Friday, China has declined repeated requests to allow experts from the UN agency join a national probe into how the outbreak — which is now a global pandemic.
“We know that some national investigation is happening but at this stage we have not been invited to join,” Dr. Gauden Galea, a WHO representative in China, told the broadcaster.
As an international dispute mounts over where and how the contagion originated, Galea said he sees no valid reason why the WHO shouldn’t be involved, the outlet reported.
“WHO is making requests of the health commission and of the authorities,” Galea said. “The origins of the virus are very important, the animal-human interface is extremely important and needs to be studied.”
He added, “The priority is we need to know as much as possible to prevent the reoccurrence.”
Galea expects to get an update from the Chinese government soon, he added.
Meanwhile, President Trump said Thursday he was confident the coronavirus originated at the state-backed Wuhan Institute of Virology but declined to cite evidence.
Last month, a prominent Chinese official tried to blame the US Army for bringing the virus to China, according to The Post. The Chinese official claimed it didn’t originate in Wuhan.